The first written mention of Baardskeerdersbos can be traced to 1660. An expedition-team of five men, sent by the founder of the Cape Colony, Jan van Riebeeck, reported on the valley and its Khoikhoi-residents. No doubt the little expedition will have spent the night in the open air and will have encountered the small spider-like creatures called “Baardscheerders” (“Beard Shavers”) known for cutting human hair for nest-making purposes. Today the village is known as Baardskeerdersbos (Baardscheerders Bosch) or, more informally, as Bbos.
The rural, typically Afrikaans village is but a smattering of homes, a church, pub and a local shop of sorts, but worth a visit for its quirky atmosphere and beauty - original mud-stone cottages still stand in Baardskeerdersbos, and the church was built in 1921.
The Baardskeerdersbos Valley lies in the midst of a fynbos biome, the farms typically traditional cattle farms, vineyards and flower farms.