Gansbaai is situated in the centre of a number of small bays with miles of unspoiled beaches and nature reserves with over 1500 species of Fynbos, ancient Milkwood forests, rocky inlets, caves and spectacular views across Walker Bay.
This quaint traditional fishing village is situated on not one, but two harbours where many fishing trawlers and boats come and go daily, supplying fresh catches to fishmongers and local restaurants.
The town of Gansbaai originates from 1881 when an adventurist, Johannes Cornelis Wessels, walked here from Stanford and discovered the fishing possibilities and freshwater fountain near the old harbour. Other families followed suit and named the place Gansgat after a colony of Egyptian geese that congregated at the fountain. It was later altered to the more respectable Gansbaai.