Pearly Beach has developed from parts of 2 farms in the area, Kleyn Hagelkraal and Swartklip. In the 1930's, Danie Lotter sold the farms to Charlie van Breda. For decades Pearly Beach was a popular campsite for the people from the surrounding regions, especially Baardskeerdersbos.
According to the locals, the avid angler Charlie van Breda, always said "this is a pearl of beaches". This led to the little town receiving it's name of Pearly Beach. The first 6 holiday homes were completed in 1948 and the town name was officially registered in 1951.
Pearly Beach has been described as the longest undisturbed sand beach in the Western Cape. Pearly Beach is known for its wild beauty and serenity. Pearly Beach was, until recently, regarded as a remote seaside hamlet with no more than a few holiday homes and few permanent residents. The beach is uncultivated and scenic, with initial rocky outcrops and pools - where local fishermen can usually be spotted - that soon peter out to become pure sand.
About 5 km off the coast from Pearly Beach is Dyer Island, the easternmost of the chain of seabird islands of the Western Cape that is home to a colony of African Penguins whose population has, unfortunately, plummeted since the 1970s when the island supported about 25 000 pairs of penguins. The island forms a pair with Geyser Rock, with some 60 000 resident Cape fur seals.
The village is on the migratory whale route and one of the highest concentrations of whales can be spotted off the beach. On the inland side of Pearly Beach there are several plants species which are endemic to a small area of lime soils, and is one of the greatest botanical hotspots in the world.